O'Neill shoots 8-of-9 from the field on her way to game-high 19 points
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (February 4, 2017) – The Western New England University women's basketball team celebrated Senior Day with an 82-54 victory over the Wentworth Institute of Technology this afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Alumni Healthful Living Center.
Prior to the start of the contest, Western New England honored its five seniors, Sammie Battaini (Leominster, Mass.), Paige Young (Berlin, Conn.), Jess Gorman (Norwood, Mass.), Emily Anderson (Rocky Hill, Conn.) and Sammie Olson (Tolland, Conn.).
• Junior guard Dorothy O'Neill (Staten Island, N.Y.) shot an impressive 8-of-9 from the field, including 3-of-4 from beyond the arc, on her way to a game-high 19 points. O'Neill also recorded four assists, three rebounds and two steals in 21 minutes off the bench.
• Young grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds to go with seven points, two steals and one assist.
• Anderson posted her 20th double figure scoring effort in 21 games this season with 13 points and seven boards.
• Junior forward Haley Sabino (Topsfield, Mass.) led Wentworth with 12 points, five rebounds, three assists and one steal.
• Sophomore guard Baylor Johnson (Greer, S.C.) scored 11 points on 3-of-3 shooting from the field and 4-of-4 from the free throw line in 24 minutes off the bench.
• Western New England missed its first six field goal attempts and trailed 4-1 after four minutes of play. Battaini tied the score with a three-pointer at the 5:54 mark, however, and Olson gave the Golden Bears the lead for good with another trey 1:11 later. Western New England, which finished the first quarter shooting 8-of-18 after the slow start, held a 22-14 advantage after ten minutes of action.
• Wentworth trailed by just five (29-24) following a layup by Savino with 2:48 left in the second quarter, before the Golden Bears closed out the half with a 9-3 run to take a 38-27 lead into the break.
• O'Neill, who drained a three-pointer in the closing seconds of the first half, and Battaini both connected from beyond the arc early in the third quarter as Western New England opened up a 44-27 advantage.
• The Golden Bears extended their lead to 21 (51-30) midway through the third quarter when Olson grabbed an offensive rebound and put back a layup. Sophomore Meghan Gilhool (Montrose, Pa.) hit a three-pointer at the buzzer, giving Western New England a 23-point cushion (64-41) heading into the final frame.
• All but one player on the Western New England roster got into the game in the fourth quarter as the Golden Bears cruised to a 28-point triumph.
• Western New England shot 44.6% from the field, 37% from beyond the arc, and 70% from the free throw line.
• After being outrebounded by a 22-16 margin in the first half, the Golden Bears finished with a 46-38 advantage on the glass.
• Anderson is now within 53 points of reaching the 1000-point mark for her Western New England career
Western New England (15-6, 11-3 CCC) will be back in action on Wednesday at Eastern Nazarene, while Wentworth (2-19, 0-14 CCC) travels to Salve Regina.