Canning leads Golden Bears with three goals, Winer tallies goal and two assists
CLERMONT, Fla. (March 16, 2017) – The Nazareth College women's lacrosse team opened up a 10-2 halftime lead on its way to a 17-7 victory over Western New England University this afternoon in non-conference action at the National Training Center.
• Junior Rachel Canning (Lincoln Park, N.J.) added to her team-leading total with three goals, while classmate Julia Winer (Longmeadow, Mass.) tallied one goal and two assists for the Golden Bears. Freshman Lindsey Phillips (East Longmeadow, Mass.) also posted a multi-point effort with one goal and one assist.
• Junior Lauren Hurley (St. James, N.Y.) and freshman Madison Barron (Lebanon, Pa.) rounded out Western New England's goal scorers with one each.
• Junior Haley DeVona (Minoa, N.Y.) powered the Nazareth offense with a game-high five goals, while freshman Maeghan O'Brien (Endicott, N.Y.) recorded five points (three goals, two assists) and senior Kate Rothrock (Fulton, N.Y.) contributed four (two goals, two assists). Sophomore Kyra Kempney (Adams Center, N.Y.) led the Golden Flyers in both ground balls (four) and draw controls (three).
• Nazareth raced out to a 6-0 lead over the first 14 minutes of action with two goals each from DeVona and Rothrock.
• Canning got the Golden Bears on the board at the 14:50 mark and Hurley tallied her sixth goal of the season with 7:43 on the clock, but Nazareth closed out the half with a 3-0 run to claim a 10-2 lead at the break.
• Western New England began to get into an offensive rhythm early in the second half, as Phillips scored on a feed from Winer 4:40 into the frame and Canning netted her second of the contest at the 19:30 mark.
• Consecutive goals from Canning (16:15) and Barron (10:22) had the Golden Bears within six (12-6), but Nazareth pulled away with a 3-0 run and the Golden Flyers scored five of the last six goals of the contest overall.
• Nazareth outshot Western New England by a 37-14 margin and led 21-13 in ground balls.
• The Golden Bears held a 14-12 advantage in draw controls, led by graduate midfielder Emma Norden's (Belchertown) team-high four.
• Canning has scored 17 goals this season, good for third in the CCC.
Western New England (2-4) returns home to host Mount Holyoke College next Wednesday (March 22) at 4 p.m., before opening Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play the following Tuesday (March 28) at Gordon College. Nazareth (2-2) returns home to host Rochester next Tuesday.