Canning tallies team-high seven points, Winer adds six
DANBURY, Conn. (April 13, 2017) – The Western Connecticut State University women's lacrosse team outscored Western New England University 4-1 over the final eight minutes of regulation to earn a 16-15 victory on Thursday evening in non-conference action at the Western Athletic Complex.
• Juniors Rachel Canning (Lincoln Park, N.J.) and Julia Winer (Longmeadow, Mass.) led the Golden Bears offensively with seven and six points, respectively. Canning scored five goals and handed out two assists, while Winer tallied four goals and two assists.
• Sophomore Kristen Breen (Ellington, Conn.) recorded a hat trick, while graduate midfielder Emma Norden (Belchertown, Mass.) finished with one goal, one assist, three ground balls and four draw controls.
• Senior midfielder Destinee Carey (New Milford, Conn.) fueled the WestConn offense with a game-high nine points (six goals, three assists), while junior Olivia Kosilla (Ellington, Conn.) contributed six points (four goals, two assists) and eight draw controls, and freshman Brooke Baldelli (New Fairfield, Conn.) chipped in with four points (three goals, one assist) and five draw controls.
• Western New England opened the game on a 4-0 run with two goals from Winer, the second of which came at the 17:55 mark.
• The Colonials answered with five consecutive goals, including three straight from Carey to claim a 5-4 edge with 11:34 remaining in the first half.
• WestConn led 9-7 at the break following Kosilla's third goal of the night with 1:26 on the clock.
• The Colonials extended their lead to three (10-7) early in the second half, before a goal by Winer at the 22:24 mark sparked a 6-1 Western New England run that saw the Golden Bears open up a 13-11 advantage with 13:30 left in the contest.
• Western New England led by the same margin (14-12) after Breen completed her hat trick at the 8:39 mark. Carey made it a one-goal game (14-13) just 41 seconds later, however, and consecutive goals by Baldelli at 5:38 and 4:47 put WestConn in front 15-14. After Winer tied the contest one final time with 3:28 remaining, Kosilla netted the game-winning goal with 1:57 on the clock.
• WestConn outshot Western New England 31-26 and won the ground ball battle 15-11.
• Led by Kosilla and Baldelli, the Colonials held a 22-7 advantage in draw controls.
• Junior goalie Shannon McFadden (West Islip, N.Y.) finished with ten saves for the Golden Bears.
Western New England (5-9) returns home to host Roger Williams next Tuesday, while WestConn (5-6) will take on Plymouth State on Saturday.