Nor'easters outscore Golden Bears 7-1 in second half
BIDDEFORD, Maine (March 31, 2018) – The Western New England University women's lacrosse team was outscored 7-1 in the second half of an 11-4 setback to the University of New England on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Big Blue Turf.
• Freshman Ashley Hudson (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) led the Western New England offense with two goals, while sophomores Shannen Barrett (Rensselaer, N.Y.) and Eileen Ruby (New Fairfield, Conn) scored one each for the Golden Bears.
• Junior defender Rebecca Allen (Franklin, Mass.) secured a team-high four draw controls to go with two assists, two ground balls and one caused turnover.
• Making her second career start in goal, freshman Kaitlyn Marchant (Londonderry, N.H.) made 18 saves on 29 shots.
• UNE sophomore attack Anna Stowell (Sutton, N.H.) had a strong all-around game with two goals, four ground balls, a game-high five draw controls, and two caused turnovers.
• Senior midfielder Jolena Lampron (Lyman, Maine) contributed three points with two goals and one assist to go with four draws, three ground balls and two caused turnovers.
• Freshman midfielder Molly Camelo (Melrose, Mass.) was also a key offensive contributor, scoring three goals for the Nor'easters.
UNE got off to a fast start with two goals over the opening 57 seconds of the contest, the second of which was scored by Camelo.
Barrett got the Golden Bears on the board at the 25:36 mark with an unassisted strike, but the Nor'easters restored their two-goal advantage (3-1) when freshman Keara Dwyer (Cazenovia, N.Y.) set up Stowell with 12:27 left in the half.
The back and forth continued as Ruby cut the Golden Bears' deficit to one with 11:01 on the clock, and senior Olivia Carpenter (Middlebury, Vt.) scored for UNE at the 8:30 mark before Hudson tallied her first goal of the game on a feed from Allen with 6:22 to play. Neither team scored for the remainder of the half as Western New England faced a 4-3 deficit at the break.
UNE increased its lead to 6-3 with goals from Camelo and Stowell early in the second half. Hudson scored to make it 6-4 with 22:05 left in the contest, but the Golden Bears were unable to find the back of the cage the rest of the way.
Lampron recorded consecutive goals at 18:00 and 12:59 as the Nor'easters ended the game on a 5-0 run to extend the final margin to seven.
• The Nor'easters outshot the Golden Bears 35-12 and held a 10-7 edge in draw controls.
• Hudson has scored seven goals over the last three games after recording just one goal over the first six contests of her collegiate career.
• Neither team had much success with their free position attempts, as Western New England went 0-for-3 and UNE posted a 1-for-9 effort.
Both teams will be back in action next Wednesday, as Western New England (1-8, 1-1 CCC) returns home to host Wentworth, and UNE (4-5, 1-1 CCC) takes on Gordon in Biddeford.