Breen records career-high seven points with five goals and two assists
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 4, 2018) – The Western New England University women's lacrosse team utilized 12 different goal scorers in a 21-8 victory over Wentworth Institute of Technology on Wednesday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Junior attack Kristen Breen (Ellington, Conn.) led Western New England's offensive outburst with a career-high seven points on five goals and two assists. Breen also scooped up a team-high five ground balls and caused two turnovers.
• Sophomore defender Olivia Truenow (Franklin, Mass.) registered a hat trick to go with four ground balls, while sophomore Lindsey Phillips (East Longmeadow, Mass.) and freshmen Danielle Skates (Berlin, Conn.) and Reilly Miller (Goshen, N.Y.) chipped in with two goals each.
• Sophomore Eileen Ruby (New Fairfield, Conn.) turned in a strong all-around performance with one goal, two assists, a game-high eight draw controls and two ground balls.
• Wentworth junior Brooke Paradis (Pelham, N.H.) paced the Leopards with three goals, one assist, four ground balls, two draws and two caused turnovers.
• Freshman Emily Rogers (Pembroke, Mass.) secured a team-high six draws and also contributed one goal and two assists.
Western New England established a 4-1 lead just over six minutes into the contest as Breen, Skates, junior Rebecca Allen (Franklin, Mass.) and freshman Ashley Hudson (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) all scored for the Golden Bears.
Paradis tallied consecutive goals at 23:16 and 21:31 to cut Wentworth's deficit to one (4-3), but Western New England responded with a 3-0 run to stretch its advantage to four (7-3) with 16:40 remaining in the half.
The Golden Bears led by the same margin (10-6) at the break, as the two teams scored three goals each over the final ten minutes of the period.
Sophomore Julie Dam (Milford, Mass.) notched her seventh goal of the season three minutes into the second half to draw Wentworth to within three (10-7), but the Leopards would get no closer.
Skates scored on a feed from Breen at the 22:56 mark, sparking a 5-0 run over the next 3:38 that saw the Golden Bears open up a 15-7 lead with 19:18 on the clock.
Junior Leah Cummins (Plymouth, Mass.) capped the scoring for the Leopards at the 17:31 mark, before the Golden Bears closed out the contest with six unanswered goals.
• The Golden Bears outshot the Leopards 48-24 and held a 21-10 advantage in draw controls.
• Western New England senior Shannon McFadden (West Islip, N.Y.) and freshman Kaitlyn Marchant (Londonderry, N.H.) split the goalkeeping duties, making a combined eight saves.
• Western New England established season-highs for goals, assists, shots, ground balls, draw controls and clears in the contest.
Western New England (2-8, 2-1 CCC) will be on the road Saturday at Endicott College, while Wentworth (4-5, 1-2 CCC) travels to Maine Farmington on Sunday.