Donovan, Nelson, Goodall & LaRusso post wins for Western New England
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (December 2, 2016) – The Western New England University wrestling team opened its dual meet schedule with a 22-15 loss to Rhode Island College this evening in New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) action at RIC's Recreation Center.
• Senior captain Brian Donovan (Manchester, Conn.), sophomore Josh Nelson (Bristol, Conn.), and freshmen Davey Goodall (Chelmsford, Mass.) and Chase LaRusso (Enfield, Conn.) all posted wins for the Golden Bears.
• The Anchormen won the first four bouts of the evening to open up a 13-0 lead.
• LaRusso got the Golden Bears on the board at 149 pounds, defeating RIC freshman Thomas Mountain (Hope, R.I.) in a 7-2 decision.
• Goodall and Nelson recorded consecutive wins at 165 and 174, respectively, while freshman John Boyle (Rowley, Mass.), ranked No. 4 in New England at 184, dropped a 3-2 decision to No. 5 ranked Michael Gallagher (Narragansett, R.I.) as the Anchormen extended their lead to ten (22-12).
• Donovan capped the night with a 7-3 victory over junior Javante Johnson (Wakefield, R.I.) at 197.
Western New England (0-1) returns home to host New England College next Friday night, while RIC (1-0) travels to Plymouth State for a tri-match with Southern Maine next Sunday.
Individual Results: Rhode Island College (1-0), Western New England (0-1)
285 lbs.: John Georges (RIC) dec. Dom Liquori (WNEU), 2-1
125 lbs.: Daniel Murray (RIC) Major Decision Giovanni Rios (WNEU), 15-4
133 lbs.: Michael Scaraveli (RIC) dec. Tim McLinden (WNEU), 10-7
141 lbs.: Jake Dorman (RIC) dec. Austin Roche (WNEU), 7-1
149 lbs.: Chase LaRusso (WNEU) dec. Thomas Mountain (RIC), 7-2
157 lbs.: Zach Ford (RIC) Win By Fall Lamont Wallace (WNEU), 3:58
165 lbs.: Davey Goodall (WNEU) Win By Fall Tim Caplan (RIC), 4:31
174 lbs.: Josh Nelson (WNEU) dec. Sam Lindblom (RIC), 9-6
184 lbs.: Mike Gallagher (RIC) dec. John Boyle (WNEU), 3-2
197 lbs.: Brian Donovan (WNEU) dec. Javante Johnson (RIC), 7-3