Senior captain registers 11-0 major decision at 197 to seal victory
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (February 16, 2017) – Senior captain Brian Donovan (Manchester, Conn.) registered a match-sealing victory as the Western New England University wrestling team posted a 31-15 win over Plymouth State University on Senior Night this evening at the Alumni Healthful Living Center.
• Donovan, Western New England's lone senior this season, came through with an 11-0 major decision triumph over Trevor Wassel at 197 pounds to give the Golden Bears a 25-15 lead heading into the final bout of the night.
• Freshman Austin Roche (Southborough, Mass.) and junior Dom Liquori (Springfield, Mass.) both recorded pins at 157 and 285, respectively.
• After Plymouth State took a 6-0 lead with a forfeit at 125, junior Mike Garone (Melville, N.Y.) got the Golden Bears on the board at 133 with a 6-4 decision over Adam Corriea.
• With the Panthers leading 9-6, Roche gave Western New England the lead for good with his win by fall (3:40) over Steve Abusherry.
• Chris Perrealt kept Plymouth State in the match with a key pin at 184, bringing the visitors back to within six (21-15).
• Donovan followed with his clutch victory at 197, however, and Liquori capped the match with a win by fall (1:18) over Alex Cesare in the heavyweight bout.
Western New England will be back in action on Sunday at the New England Wrestling Association Futures Tournament, hosted by Johnson & Wales University.