Senior captain finishes first at 133 pounds
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. (January 6, 2018) – Senior captain Tim McLinden (Plaistow, N.H.) finished first in the 133-pound weight class, highlighting the Western New England University wrestling team's performance on Saturday at the Williams College Open inside Lasell Gym.
• McLinden went 2-0 on the day, defeating Castleton University's Nicholas Camacho, who entered the day ranked sixth in New England at 133, with a 6-3 decision in the final.
• Freshman Nick Arborio (Berlin, Conn.) finished fourth at 125 pounds, falling to Williams' Matt Morris in the semifinals.
• Sophomore John Boyle (Rowley, Mass.) won three straight matches to reach the finals at 184, where he was defeated by Jacob Berry of Springfield Technical Community College in overtime.
• At 149 pounds, senior captain Lamont Wallace (New Rochelle, N.Y.) lost an 8-3 decision to Max Tempel of Castleton in his first bout of the day, before reeling off five straight wins to reach the consolation finals.
• Sophomore Alex Starr (Lebanon, Conn.) advanced to the consolation semifinals at 141 with a 3-2 record on the day, while classmate Ryan Guers (Orwigsburg, Pa.) won his only contest with a 5-2 decision over Matt Froio of Plymouth State at 174.
Western New England will be back in action on Wednesday, when the Golden Bears host Bridgewater State and Roger Williams in a tri-match at the Alumni Healthful Living Center.