Arborio wins 125-pound title, four other Golden Bears finish in top-six
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. (January 13, 2018) – Led by freshman Nick Arborio's (Berlin, Conn.) first place finish at 125 pounds, the Western New England University wrestling team placed fifth in the 13-team field on Saturday at the Will Abele Invitational, hosted by Ursinus College at the Floy Lewis Bakes Center Field House.
The Golden Bears turned in a score of 65.5 en route to fifth place. Wheeling Jesuit University claimed the team title with a score of 163.0, while Castleton University (138.5) and SUNY Oneonta (125.5) took second and third.
• Arborio went 4-0 with three pins and a major decision victory en route to his first collegiate title. The freshman improves to 20-7 this season with ten pins.
• Sophomore John Boyle (Rowley, Mass.) was among four other Golden Bears to finish in the top six of their respective weight class. Boyle went 4-1 on his way to third place at 184.
• Senior captain Lamont Wallace (New Rochelle, N.Y.) reached the semifinals at 149 before placing fourth with a record of 2-2 for the day.
• Sophomore Ryan Guers (Orwigsburg, Pa.) reached the semifinals at 174 with two pins in under a minute, before injury defaulting from the tournament.
• Sophomore Chase LaRusso (Enfield, Conn.) went 3-2 on his way to a top-six finish at 165, while senior captain Andrew Cole (Ogdensburg, N.Y.) and sophomores Nick Fortini (Deer Park, N.Y.) and Alex Starr (Lebanon, Conn.) posted 2-2 records at 197, heavyweight and 141, respectively.
Western New England will be back in action next Sunday at the New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) Duals, held at the Providence Career & Technical Academy in Providence, R.I.