McLinden & Boyle lead Western New England
GORHAM, Maine (February 3, 2018) – The Western New England University wrestling team defeated Trinity College and SUNY Sullivan at a quad meet hosted by the University of Southern Maine on Saturday afternoon at the Costello Sports Complex.
The Golden Bears opened the day with a 51-0 victory over SUNY Sullivan, and followed that up with a 28-17 win against Trinity before dropping their final dual to host USM, 25-9.
• Senior captain Tim McLinden (Plaistow, N.H.) led Western New England, going 4-0 at 133 pounds. McLinden defeated Caleb Austin of Southern Maine in a 4-2 decision and also pinned SUNY Sullivan's Robert Satriano at 3:15.
• Freshman Nick Arborio (Berlin, Conn.) went 2-1 at 125, with his only loss coming to Southern Maine's Peter Del Gallo, who entered Saturday's action ranked third nationally in his weight class.
• Making his Western New England debut, freshman Ryan Monteiro (Wilbraham, Mass.) won both of his bouts at 157, including a pin of SUNY Sullivan's Jose Cintron in just 47 seconds.
• Sophomore John Boyle (Rowley, Mass.) went 3-0 with wins by fall, decision and forfeit.
• Senior captain Andrew Cole (Ogdensburg, N.Y.) and sophomore Alex Starr (Lebanon, Conn.) both went 2-1 at 197 and 141, respectively, while sophomore Ryan Guers (Orwigsburg, Pa.) posted a 1-1 record at 174.
Western New England (8-7) wraps up its dual meet schedule next Saturday at Plymouth State.