KINGSTON, R.I. (February 20, 2017) – The Western New England University swimming team wrapped up its 2016-17 season yesterday with the final day of the New England Intercollegiate Swimming & Diving Association (NEISDA) Championships, hosted by the University of Rhode Island at Tootell Aquatics Center.
Western New England finished the three-day event with 274.5 points, placing 16th of 21 teams. Roger Williams claimed the team title with 2275 points, while Keene State (1600) and Brandeis (1348) rounded out the top three.
• Junior Erika Sheinhait (Framingham, Mass.) broke her own school record in the 100-yard individual medley and finished sixth overall with a time of 1:04.35.
• Freshman Brittany Bosma (North Port, Fla.) swam a season-best time of 59.56 seconds in the 100-yard freestyle prelims, placing 23rd of 38 entries in the event.
• Junior Jacquelyn Peterson (Beverly, Mass.) improved on her time in the 1650-yard freestyle by a minute, finishing 14th and clocking in at 20:17.61.
• Junior Janelle Lief (San Jose, Calif.) recorded her top time of the season in the 200-yard butterfly by 11 seconds, as she finished 20th in the prelims with a time of 2:35.72.
• Freshman Emily Elliott (Cortland, N.Y.) swam a personal best time of 1:07.44 in the 100-yard individual medley prelims, narrowly missing out on qualifying for the final with her 17th place effort.
• Western New England's 400-yard freestyle relay team of Sheinhait, Elliott, Peterson and Bosma turned in a season best time of 3:55.07, good for 12th overall, and was a tenth of a second shy of setting a program record.